Spring cleaning or general clean-up is exciting, but it's best not to get too gung-ho about the process of organization. There's definitely a right way and a wrong way to go out with the old and in with the new when it comes to your closet. Follow these steps to make the transition as pleasant as possible.
1. Pick the closet you're ready to streamline. Smaller closets will need a reach-in closet system and larger, walk-in closets will require a walk-in closet system. Once you know exactly what kind of closet you're up against, it's time to measure.
2. Measuring the closet is the most important step. You don't want a system that's too big or too small for your space, and getting the precise dimensions ahead of time will help you narrow down your search.
3. Consider what you'll be storing. If you think you'll need baskets, drawers, shoe storage, or any other accessories, plan for them now so you'll have room for them later.
4. Now that you know your closet size and needs, you're ready to map out your space. You don't have to be a great artist to handle this part - just draw a diagram on a piece of paper of how you want your things to be organized, so you know what's possible and what isn't.
5. Shopping time! By using the navigation bar at the left side of our site, you can trim down the wide selection of organizers according to size, brand name, finish, customer review, and even price range to find the perfect storage solution to fit your needs.
6. Once you've received your system and are ready to install the organizer, take out the instructions and read them thoroughly. Do you have the right tools? Once you have the equipment you need to do the job, you're ready to begin.
7. Remove all of your clothes, shoes, and other stored items from the closet. Yes, everything.
8. Sort through all of your stuff. Be as discerning as possible and decide what stays and what should be donated or thrown away.
9. Dismantle all existing shelving and replace it with spackling paste. You might even want to take the door off its hinges so you have more room to work.
10. You have a blank canvas, the perfect organizer, and all the right tools. All that's left to do now is follow the instructions included with your organizer and arrange your things according to the map you drew in step 4. Happy organizing!