Shelving. Some people prefer flat shelving so that shoes don't slide off the shelf, while others prefer slanted shelving to better display their shoe options. Choose shoe storage shelving that will fit into your closet while remaining under your longest pants or dresses. This will ensure the best use of space without getting in the way of your hanging clothes.
- Cubby Holes. A very sturdy and protective option for your shoes! Place one shoe per cubby and your shoes will stay shapely and clean. Shoe storage cubbies are typically available as large wooden boxes with 6 to 20 small squares for stashing your shoes.
- Hanging Shoe Shelves. These fabric shelves make fantastic shoe storage by using extra space on your clothing rod. They are also ergonomically designed so that you can avoid bending. These shoe shelves attach via Velcro or snaps over the clothes rod, and can normally store 8 to 10 pairs of shoes in little cubby holes, one shoe per cloth cubby. The fabric also allows space for shoes to breathe, eliminating moisture and odors.
- Door Hanging Shoe Rack. This space is perfect for slippers or other pairs of small shoes so that they are less likely to be damaged.
- Elevated Shelving. Storing your shoes off the ground is great for pet owners or parents with young children. If you know what it's like to have man's best friend chew your favorite pair of shoes, you know why it's important to keep them out of your pet's reach. Also, kids are well-known to clomp around in Mom's high heels only to leave, for example, one under the couch and another in the toilet. Avoid these situations with elevated shelving.
- Closet Organizer Component. Make it easy on yourself and select a closet organizer that has built-in shoe storage. Most options have enough space for even the largest of shoe collections.
Many types of shoe storage options are available, so it is up to you to decide which ones will work for your individual storage space. Feel free to mix and match! Different types of shoes call for different kinds of shoe storage.