1. Know your shoes. Boots and heels have different needs than sneakers. Your shoe organization system should be based on your collection, so you don't to compromise later.
2. A convenient way to keep your shoes at the ready and save space is to get out of the closet and use under-bed shoe storage. These racks glide under your bed neatly so you can see the entire selection, spot what you need, and then store them all away.
3. For some, storing shoes under the bed isn't an option. In that case, head to the closet.
4. As much as you may love shoes, know that they don't come first. When planning storage of shoes, take the entire closet into account. Displacing other items so you can have room for a few more kicks is never a good idea and you'll find yourself on the downward spiral to clutter.
5. Never, ever store your shoes behind hanging clothes. Nothing could be more infuriating than not seeing the shoes you need or fumbling around in the dark for shoes that aren't there to begin with! Shoes should be visible - yet protected, accessible, and well-organized.
6. Shoes don't have to be stored down low - try hanging shoe storage. You'll find shelves that can be placed at eye-level, space-saving over-the door racks that use every inch of the closet interior, and much more.
7. Are we talking quantity, here? If your collection would make Carrie sweat, then a shoe rack will provide the most options. These towers of shelving make shoes incredibly accessible - some even rotate - and can store purses and folded items as well.
8. You're going to save space and gain incredible convenience from any shoe storage, but the shoe storage bench is all about presentation. These stunning cabinets come in a variety of styles and finishes, each fitted with numerous shoe cubbies and drawers.
9. Prioritize! Your collection is vast, but how many pairs do you actually wear? Your most frequently used shoes should be the most accessible, and your most valuable shoes should be the best protected.
10. The more you care, the longer they'll last. A shoe tree is an affordable way to maintain your shoe's shape and protect from cracks and creases. Buy shoe trees that are made of cedar, a wood that absorbs moisture that would otherwise weaken or damage the shoe's integrity.